By Kate Springer
Photos and inspiration for this piece from Clare Barboza
Summer is slipping away, but that does not mean that you cannot make these last days count. Make these recipes and savor the rest of the season.
Blueberry Muffins with Maple-Vanilla Granola
These hand-held treats are perfect for eating during an end-of-Summer road trip, or for munching on during a snack break.
*Makes 18 muffins
-1 cup flour
-1/2 cup sugar
-2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt
– About 1 1/2 cups Maple-Vanilla Granola
-1 cup milk
-1 egg, beaten
-1/4 cup vegetable oil
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 cup blueberries, plus 1 tablespoon flour
-1/2 cup Maple-Vanilla Granola
-2 tablespoons flour
-2 tablespoons brown sugar
– 1 tablespoon softened butter, margarine or non-dairy substitute
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Mix together the granola and milk in a separate bowl. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
4. Pour the granola mixture into the dry ingredients. Add the egg, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Stir until fully combined.
5. Evenly coat the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour, and then fold them into the muffin batter,
6. Make the topping by combining everything in a bowl.
7. Fill muffin tins until they are about 2/3 full. Top each muffin with an even amount of the granola-sugar mixture.
8. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a light golden brown.
9. Enjoy them fresh from the oven. Store the remaining muffins in a container, or freeze them.
*Inspired by this recipe
Banana-Blueberry Smoothie with Granola Garnish
This twist on a favorite drink is a go-to on hot days.
*Makes 1-2 smoothies
-1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
-½ cup of your favorite type of yogurt
-/3 cup milk or nondairy milk
-2 tablespoons honey
-2 tablespoons of your go-to variety of True North Granola to put in the smoothie (the smoothie shown has Maple-Vanilla Granola)
-1 cup ice cubes
-2 teaspoons granola (for decoration)
1. Place the banana (frozen, if needed), blueberries, granola, yogurt, milk, honey and ice in a blender.
2. On the “milkshake” or “smoothie” setting, mix until the drink is smooth.
3. Pour into cups and top with the rest of the granola.
Cooking with True North Granola is tastier with our Apple Cinnamon Granola and Cherry Vanilla Pecan Granola. Take 15% off both flavors with code “September18” through the end of the month. All sizes are on sale.